Planning out a two week science exploration trip is nothing short of invigorating.  It beats sitting in professional devleopment meetings rewriting curriculum for the 8th time or listening to a "teaching expert" who has been in the classroom for only a year.   This is real professional development, guided by a true scientific explorer who is going to capture the essence of science practice and the brutal truth of failure.  It will be documented with primary source videos, captured with live interviews and lived my the newest scientist to this field....me. 

 Failure's roll in science is more prevelant that students think.  Most of the time when exploring science, we fail.   Throughout this last year, I have seen a ton of failure in my life in all aspects.  What matters most is how we use it to become stronger and more resilient.  

Let me introduce you to my cohorts in crime (or science.)  Dr. Stacey Williams  and Travis Courtney's research facility in La Parguera will be my first stop. This will be followed by a visit to Dr. Nelson Cardona's chemical engineering research lab at University of Puerto-Rico Mayaguez.  Next is a visit with the CARICCOS team in Mayaguez to learn about their acidification buoys.  Rest up and drive to the other side of the island to meet with Dr. Jesus Gomez who has been working on drought projects in El Verde.  I will be shadowing various scientists in El Verde on their projects and then ending with Stacey's sister site in Ceiba to see the work they are doing with coral reefs. 

My mind is ready to learn from these amazing individuals who are pushing science foward.  They do it despite the damage of hurricanes and the uncertainty of supplies.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

Reflection: Nature as your teacher