Ciencia es familia


 It's really hard to put into words what it means to be a scientist.  While your world doesn't have an owner's manual, google search engine,  it does have a huge support system.  On my first day, Francisco and Manual told me that their group is a great support system and are friends outside of work.  I didn't realize how tight knit and supportive this group was until I had privilege of working with the team.  On the first day, Manual asked me "what are you doing on Thursday because we are collecting urchins which is a rare event and we would love for you to join us."  After finishing my 3 other lab experiences, I quickly headed over to their tent.  I could hear the sound of music and laughter as I walked down the hill to their station.  Immediately they all exclaimed my name and gave me hugs.  Aleya quickly got me situated and Leysa helped me on my first 2 carpets.  We chatted about teaching, learning and they gave me great advice on places to visit on the island.  As a teacher, I often struggle to find space where this connection happens.  We're always in our seperate boxes and rarely allowed to share the joys and challenges of the day.  This group made me feel incredibly welcome and reminded me that "Cienca es familia."


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Here

Reflection: Nature as your teacher